Soft Molasses Jumbles
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine molasses and buttermilk. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in raisins and chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 157 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 25, 2019
Not a fan of breakfast food but a healthy cookie is what I was looking for to have instead of donuts or muffins. This hits the spot. My only negative is that my chocolate chips (Ghirardelli) separated from the cookie while baking and made hard little puddles around the cookie. That can be easily fixed next time by omitting it as others have said. Perhaps I'll try some chopped nuts in the future. I also agree that the ginger should be increased as I barely detect its flavor in the cookie. That being said I'm glad I found this recipe.
Jan 30, 2015
First made Sep 2011. We love molasses cookies and these fit the bill. Subbed 1 c ww flour and regular milk. omitted raisins. Will definitely make again.
Oct 15, 2011
I've been looking for a recipe like this for a while. The cookies are so soft and have great molasses flavor. I doubled both the cinnamon and ginger and omitted the raisins and chocolate chips. I used an ice cream scoop 3/4 full, so I got 2 dozen beautiful cookies.
Oct 20, 2010
Very good! Taste great.
Jul 12, 2010
I bake quite often, and have tons of cookie recipes at my fingertips. My eyebrows raised when I read this one. My hubby likes a soft cake like cookie, I love anything with molasses. I enjoyed the unique flavor combination with the molasses, ginger- plus raisin and chocolate chips- different right?I have to say I substituted the mini chocolate chips and made them exactly as recipe calls for. They are good- and I will make them again, however next time I will add a full teaspoon of the cinnamon and also ginger called for, just to give them a bit more of the gingersnap flavor. Nice cookie- try it!