"I bake 22 types of cookies at Christmas, and these macaroons are the most requested," shares Barbara Schindler, Napoleon, Ohio. "People can't believe I use sherbet and cake mix to make the simple sweets."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1 pint pineapple or orange sherbet, softened
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 6 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, combine sherbet, almond extract and dry cake mix; mix well. Stir in the coconut.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 76 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Soft Macaroons in Quick Cooking March/April 2003