Soft Ginger Cutouts
I can still remember the wonderful aroma of spices wafting through our house while Mom baked these timeless cookies. They have a soft texture that melts in your mouth.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 10 dozen
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the molasses, water and vinegar. Combine the flour, soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 111 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Soft Ginger Cutouts in Best of Country Cookies