Soft Ginger Cutouts
I can still remember the wonderful aroma of spices wafting through our house while Mom baked these timeless cookies. They have a soft texture that melts in your mouth.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 10 dozen
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the molasses, water and vinegar. Combine the flour, soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 111 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Soft Ginger Cutouts in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.