Soft Chocolate Mint Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. In a bowl, beat sugars and egg; add buttermilk and peppermint extract. Beat in chocolate mixture.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes or until dough becomes firmer.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 148 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 22, 2017
I think this is a very yummy recipe. I don't usually have squares of chocolate. Instead of squares of chocolate, I substituted baking unsweetened cocoa--9 T and 3 T oil or butter. I've often left out the extra butter and it's been fine with just the cocoa.
Dec 6, 2012
These cookies are so delicious! I changed the recipe slightly by adding 5 (instead of 3) OZ of DARK chocolate, 2 and a half EXTRA TBSP of flour and chocolate chips into the dough. They came out so moist and chewy. Definitely will make this again!
Sep 18, 2011
My husband loves these cookies and they are easy to make.
Jan 5, 2011
These cookies have a brownie-like texture. I didn't have buttermilk so I substituted about 1 tsp. lemon juice + 1/4 c. skim milk (do not stir) and let it sit for 5-7 minutes. I put about 9-12 cookies on a greased cookie sheet at a time and let them bake for 9 minutes. Any longer and they would have been overcooked, any shorter and they would have been too gooey. These cookies taste like a brownie when you first bite into them, and then you get the delicious peppermint flavor. My family was begging me to bake another batch!
Sep 20, 2010
Very moist, brownie-like texture. I added 1/2 c. mint chocolate chips(there's no such thing as too much chocolate!).