Cornmeal on the bottom of the baking sheet gives these breadsticks added crispness. If desired, sprinkle poppy or sesame seeds on the breadsticks for baking.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse salt, optional
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt and oil; stir until dissolved. Add 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide into 12 portions. Using your hands, roll each portion into a 10-in. x 1/2-in. strip. Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Let rise, uncovered, until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Beat egg white and water; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Place baking sheet on middle rack of oven; place a large shallow pan filled with boiling water on the lowest rack. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Brush again with egg white. Bake 5 minutes more or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 178 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.