Cornmeal on the bottom of the baking sheet gives these breadsticks added crispness. If desired, sprinkle poppy or sesame seeds on the breadsticks for baking.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse salt, optional
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt and oil; stir until dissolved. Add 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide into 12 portions. Using your hands, roll each portion into a 10-in. x 1/2-in. strip. Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Let rise, uncovered, until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Beat egg white and water; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Place baking sheet on middle rack of oven; place a large shallow pan filled with boiling water on the lowest rack. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Brush again with egg white. Bake 5 minutes more or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 178 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Soft Breadsticks in Taste of Home December/January 1995