Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, carrot and garlic in butter until tender. Add the barley, rice and bulgur; saute 3 minutes longer.
- Add the broth, wine, sage and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until the grains are tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, almonds and chilies. Serve immediately over spinach if desired.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 195 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 11, 2014
Love this recipe. It is definitely a good one to introduce other grains into our diet. I skip the almonds as we are not nut eaters, and I don't recommend the vegetable broth; use chicken broth as it is much better.
Jan 12, 2009
I liked this recipe for it's great health benefits but it did take longer to cook than indicated.
Sep 13, 2008
This is wonderful, especially if you can let it sit for a short while to mix the flavors before serving :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.