- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, carrot and garlic in butter until tender. Add the barley, rice and bulgur; saute 3 minutes longer.
- Add the broth, wine, sage and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until the grains are tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, almonds and chilies. Serve immediately over spinach if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSo-Good Pilaf
"Love this recipe. It is definitely a good one to introduce other grains into our diet. I skip the almonds as we are not nut eaters, and I don't recommend the vegetable broth; use chicken broth as it is much better."
"I liked this recipe for it's great health benefits but it did take longer to cook than indicated."
"This is wonderful, especially if you can let it sit for a short while to mix the flavors before serving :)"