So-Easy Coq Au Vin
Here’s my adaptation of the beloved French dish. I substituted boneless skinless chicken breasts for a lighter version that still showcases the traditional and memorable taste. —Sonya Labbe, Los Angeles, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings.
- In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in bacon drippings just until tender. Spoon over chicken. Add bay leaf. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, wine, broth, thyme and pepper until smooth; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with noodles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with 1/2 cup mushroom sauce (calculated without noodles): 299 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 324mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Coq Au Vin in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.