Snowflake Ornament Cookies
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Edible glitter, sprinkles or coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into three portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. snowflake-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using a plastic straw, make a hole about 1/2 in. from the top of each cookie. Using small decorating cutters, cut out desired shapes to create designs in snowflakes.
- Bake 5-6 minutes or until set. Use straw to reopen holes in cookies. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining portions, using 4- and 5-in. cutters. Bake 4-in. cookies, 6-7 minutes; bake 5-in. cookies, 8-10 minutes.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and enough water to reach desired consistency. Brush over snowflakes; sprinkle with glitter. Let stand at least 5 minutes or until set.
- Thread ribbon through the holes.
Editor's NoteEdible glitter is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 5, 2012
This is the recipe for Snowflake & Icicle Cookies - to decorate your Christmas Tree (Live or Artificial Trees - Cookies are edible). They will make a truly lovely tree. Check out Paula Deen's video on 'Snowflake Cookies' to see a colored glaze with Glitter & Edible Beads in order to create Cookies even Santa would love to eat!