Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar or additional sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add warm milk and oil. Add sugar, salt and eggs. Stir in flour (dough will be very sticky). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Stir dough down and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Stir dough down; roll out on a well-floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. cutter. Place on greased baking sheets; cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired.
Oct 7, 2014
I made these yesterday, I cut the recipe in half and still came out with 14 dough-nutsIt really is a very soft, sticky dough. I cut them out, let them rise, then when I tried to pick them up to put into the hot fat, they stretched like crazy.I had a hard time getting them into the fat in some sort of a doughnut shape, although they were very light and taste great.
Feb 20, 2013
The doughnuts were light and had a fantastic texture, but NO flavor whatsoever. If I make these again I will add cinnamon or orange zest, anything to make them pop.
Oct 8, 2012
Great!! Just do it exactly how they say!!
Jun 16, 2012
This recipe was actually very easy to make. I would recommend making sure your bowl is big enough before starting. i ended up using a dutch oven to put the dough in to let it rise and such and that worked out perfect for me. And the flavor is absolutely delicious. My whole family loved them. I made a few with powder sugar, a few cinnamon and sugared, left a few plain and put chocolate frosting on some. A yummy treat.!!!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.