Snowcapped Butternut Squash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Dash pepper
- Additional dill weed, optional
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream, salt, dill and pepper. Drain squash and transfer to a serving bowl; top with sauce. Sprinkle with additional dill if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 176 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 11, 2015
Oct 21, 2012
I was doubtful but the flavors were great together. Only drawback was cubing the butternut squash.
Sep 16, 2012
I loved this recipe and will make it again for myself or others, OTHER than my other half. I ate the left overs the next day for lunch and it was still wonderful. I get soooo tired of the squash recipes with brown sugar and other sweeteners. This is a wonderful change of pace. However, I have to disagree with Karen who submitted this recipe. If they don't like cooked squash, they are never going to like cooked squash. I keep trying new recipes because I like it but my other half does NOT. He'll eat it if I cook it, but he will complain the entire time while telling me, You know I ONLY like raw summer squash.
Aug 7, 2011
Just learned this week the easy way to peel butternut squash--make several cuts into the whole squash just through the peeling, cook on high in microwave for 5 to 6 minutes, cool till can handle, peels sooo very easily. Can finish cooking afterwards to desired doneness. I wish I had known this years ago.
Aug 21, 2010
My husband and I love this dish. I'll be making it often and especially for company. It tastes wonderful and is so pretty.
Aug 20, 2010
Just OK. There are plenty of other recipes to try. I probably won't make this one again.
May 28, 2010
This is a hit every time I make it! If you're looking for something different to do with butternut squash, try this. You don't need to change a thing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.