I couldn't pry this family secret recipe from my sister-in-law, but her mother did...and I was thrilled! The old-fashioned flavor never goes out of style.—Norma Wehrung, Getzville, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 envelopes whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 2 cups milk
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut and maraschino cherries
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Immediately invert cake onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in boiling water until gelatin is dissolved. Add the pineapple, sugar, lemon juice and salt. Refrigerate until partially thickened, about 40 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat whipped topping mixes and milk until stiff. Fold into pineapple mixture.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of cake pan; remove cake from pan and cut into 1-in. cubes. Place half of the cake cubes in a 13-in. x 9-in. dish; top with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with coconut. Cut into squares; top each with a cherry.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 172 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 208mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Snowball Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009