Whipped topping and coconut blanket a layered angel food cake and gelatin dessert. My husband's grandmother really liked this cool treat and requested that I make it every Christmas. —Judith Guthrie, Charleston, West Virginia
Recommended: Top 10 Christmas Candy Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 inches), cut into cubes
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- In a bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Stir in sugar and lemon juice until sugar is dissolved. Add pineapple. Refrigerate until partially thickened, about 20 minutes. Fold in 4 cups whipped topping.
- Line a 3-qt. round bowl with plastic wrap. spoon about 2 cups pineapple mixture into bowl. Layer with half of the cake cubes and half of the remaining pineapple mixture. Repeat layers. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Unmold onto a serving plate. Spread remaining whipped topping over cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Snowball Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p102
Reviews forSnowball Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 14, 2008