My family and friends like a nice pick-me-up dessert after a big holiday meal. These feather-light morsels fit the bill perfectly. To make six dozen cookies, or to make them easier to ship, skip the Nutella and dust with cocoa instead. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Featured In: 30 Recipes to Make with Nutella
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 225°. Add vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in confectioners' sugar.
- Place meringue in a pastry bag fitted with a #1M open star tip. Pipe 1-1/2-in. rosettes onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until firm to the touch, 45-50 minutes. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets.
- Remove meringues from parchment paper. Pipe or spread Nutella onto bottoms of half the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Store in airtight containers at room temperature. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Snow-Puffed Meringues in Taste of Home October/November 2012, p46
Reviews forSnow-Puffed Meringues
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 15, 2012
"The yield is misleading. It's ~3 dozen meringues, but only half that if you put them together into sandwich cookies."