Snow Peas and Beef Salad
"In this delicious main-dish salad, savory strips of broiled streak are lightly dressed along the water chestnuts, mushrooms and onions, then tossed with crisp snow peas," details Janeen Kilpatrick of Fairbury, Illinois. "Ketchup and ginger add a bit of zip to the sweet dressing."
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, garlic salt, ground ginger and pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup fresh or frozen snow peas, thawed
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Broil steak 4-6 in. from the heat for 8-10 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cool completely. Thinly slice meat across the grain; place in a large resealable plastic bag. In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the ketchup, oil, lemon juice, brown sugar and seasonings; shake well. Pour over meat; seal bag and turn to coat.
- Add the mushrooms, water chestnuts and onion. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Just before serving, add snow peas. Serve on lettuce; garnish with tomatoes.