Snow Peas & Beef Stir-Fry
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sherry or water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 pound fresh snow peas
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch and sugar. Transfer 1/4 cup mixture to a large bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon oil and garlic. Add beef; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the beef mixture; stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan; repeat with remaining beef.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender. Add snow peas; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until crisp-tender.
- Stir remaining soy sauce mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Return beef to pan; heat through. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 265 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 863mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2018
This was very good, however, next time I would make a slight change. I doubled the sauce ingredients as I had a large quantity of vegetables to use up. The sauce is just a bit too strong on the sherry for my tastes, so I would use half water or stock next time. I also used canned mushrooms as I had no fresh ones on hand, and they worked fine. I also substituted broccoli for the snow peas, which was yummy.
Jan 19, 2017
Very nice! Flavorful. I've made it with broccoli too!
Sep 1, 2016
This is an excellent stir-fry! Simple and delicious. Love the sauce, not salty at all. Could not get snow peas, but used sugar snap peas instead. They were delish!
Apr 21, 2016
This was very good. I made the mistake of using regular soy sauce, it was very salty. I will switch to reduced-sodium next time. I made 3 slight changes: 2 packets of Splenda instead of sugar, switched out the 1 tablespoon of oil and used PAM to saute the mushrooms ad onions, and I used top round beef cubes, sliced in half. I also added crushed red pepper flakes to add some heat.
Apr 17, 2016
Just loved this dish, served over brown rice
Apr 13, 2016
Excellent stir-fry recipe. Followed recipe as written. Beef tender; snow peas crisp. Highly recommend this recipe.
Nov 4, 2015
This was super easy to make, but I agree with the "too salty" reviews. I was blown away by how salty it turned out. I will try again and use water instead of the sherry and see if that makes a difference. All in all, it came together quick and easy, and my kids loved it (aside from the salt), great way to sneak in veggies.
May 4, 2015
Quick and easy! My family loved it!
Apr 17, 2015
This is very good. I double the liquids, so I have more juice for the rice. I also add broccoli and strips of red peppers. I leave out the mushrooms.
Apr 11, 2015
Very good and easy to make