Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into a ball; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until edges begin to brown, 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- To assemble, place 1/4 teaspoon apricot jam in the center of a cookie; top with another cookie, making sure all star points are visible. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Repeat. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 60 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 3, 2015
Loved the final product - they turned out beautifully. I used cherry jam instead of apricot. Only trouble was the dough seemed very dry and after a while some was so dry and crumbly we had to throw it out. I doubled the recipe and am pretty sure I did everything correctly. Next time I'll use a little less flour.
Dec 21, 2013
Super delicious. Loved the pairing with the apricot preserves. The cookies were solo soft. Will definitely make again.
Nov 28, 2012
I used mint & cherry jelly for filling to look more festive. Whenever I make sugar cookies I always roll them out on a light dusting of powder sugar.