- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar and lemon peel until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into a ball; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- To assemble, place 1/4 teaspoon apricot jam in the center of a cookie; top with another cookie, making sure all star points are visible. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Repeat. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forSnow Flurries
"Loved the final product - they turned out beautifully. I used cherry jam instead of apricot. Only trouble was the dough seemed very dry and after a while some was so dry and crumbly we had to throw it out. I doubled the recipe and am pretty sure I did everything correctly. Next time I'll use a little less flour."
"Super delicious. Loved the pairing with the apricot preserves. The cookies were solo soft. Will definitely make again."
"I used mint & cherry jelly for filling to look more festive. Whenever I make sugar cookies I always roll them out on a light dusting of powder sugar."