Snappy Eggplant Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 16 large pitted ripe olives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 package (1 pound) spaghetti
- 1 pound red snapper or grouper fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the eggplant, green pepper, olives, parsley, basil, salt and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Add fish to eggplant mixture; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain spaghetti; serve with fish mixture.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 225 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jul 14, 2014
This was very good, but I did have to make a few slight changes. I used skinless salmon as the fish. worked fine, tasted wonderful. I used the oriental eggplant (long skinny kind). I did NOT peel it, just cut it in half longways, then I sliced it, and let it soak in lemon juice for a few minutes just before adding to the sauce to help prevent it turning dark. The lemon juice did not change the flavor of the dish. Or if it did, I didnt notice it. I also ended up adding some broken dried mushrooms because it was a little runny for our taste. The mushrooms absorbed the excess liquid. But I think they just added to the taste. I also used more olives then called for...were big olive fans. So as you can see, I didnt make any drastic changes, just minor. It was oh so good. We will make this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.