Snappy Eggplant Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 16 large pitted ripe olives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 package (1 pound) spaghetti
- 1 pound red snapper or grouper fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the eggplant, green pepper, olives, parsley, basil, salt and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Add fish to eggplant mixture; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain spaghetti; serve with fish mixture.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 225 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 14, 2014
This was very good, but I did have to make a few slight changes. I used skinless salmon as the fish. worked fine, tasted wonderful. I used the oriental eggplant (long skinny kind). I did NOT peel it, just cut it in half longways, then I sliced it, and let it soak in lemon juice for a few minutes just before adding to the sauce to help prevent it turning dark. The lemon juice did not change the flavor of the dish. Or if it did, I didnt notice it. I also ended up adding some broken dried mushrooms because it was a little runny for our taste. The mushrooms absorbed the excess liquid. But I think they just added to the taste. I also used more olives then called for...were big olive fans. So as you can see, I didnt make any drastic changes, just minor. It was oh so good. We will make this again.