Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pepperoncini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound sliced deli smoked turkey
- 1 pound sliced deli ham
- 3/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2 pretzel sticks or toothpicks
- 2 pickle slices
- 2 ripe olive slices
- Thaw dough according to package directions. Roll dough from each loaf into a 2-in.-thick log, shaping one end of one log to resemble a snake head and one end of the second log to resemble a rattle.
- Transfer to greased baking sheets, curving slightly to resemble a snake. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brush dough with melted butter; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut a roasted pepper into a 3-in.-long strip to make a snake tongue; set aside. Finely chop remaining peppers and place in a bowl; stir in mayonnaise, pepperoncini and garlic.
- On a large cutting board, trim off the plain end of each loaf, leaving head and rattle ends intact. Cut each loaf horizontally in half. Connect bottom halves to make a snake; layer with meat, cheese, tomatoes and 4 cups sliced lettuce. Spread top halves with 1 cup sauce; place over lettuce. Insert snake tongue.
- For grass, arrange remaining lettuce around sandwich. Insert pretzel sticks to attach pickle slices and olives for eyes. Using a serrated knife, cut sandwich into 20 slices; serve with remaining sauce.
1 slice: 346 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 897mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.Originally published as Slithering Snakewich with Spicy Venom Sauce in Taste of Home September/October 2015
Nov 27, 2017
I love making something special for our Halloween dinner. This sandwich fits the bill perfectly. It's easy to put together, looks great and is super delicious. I cut the recipe in half and the snake was still a decent size. Adults and kids all loved it.
Feb 5, 2017
I love this so easy to make and just adorable - and love that you can use your own meat and cheese choices
Reviews for Snakewich with Venom Sauce
More from Taste of Home