This hearty snack is much like a sloppy joe sandwich, so it could be a meal in itself. Have knives and forks handy for folks to dig into these!—Margaret Allen, Abingdon, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 36 slices snack rye bread
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato paste, water and seasonings; cook over low heat until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Spread 1 tablespoonful on each slice of bread. Place on ungreased baking sheets; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 134 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Snack Pizzas in Taste of Home August/September 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.