This hearty snack is much like a sloppy joe sandwich, so it could be a meal in itself. Have knives and forks handy for folks to dig into these!—Margaret Allen, Abingdon, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 36 slices snack rye bread
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato paste, water and seasonings; cook over low heat until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Spread 1 tablespoonful on each slice of bread. Place on ungreased baking sheets; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 134 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.