Your family can enjoy two distinctly different snack cakes with this simple mix from Kathy Nieratko of Fair Haven, Vermont. The moist and sweet banana version is chock-full of crunchy nuts while the applesauce cake has plenty of spicy goodness.
Recommended: 19 Scary-Good Halloween Cake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR BANANA SNACK CAKE:
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR APPLESAUCE SNACK CAKE:
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Yield: about 11-1/2 cups (about 5 batches).
- To prepare banana cake: In a mixing bowl, beat egg, milk and oil. Stir in 2-1/4 cups cake mix and banana; mix well. Fold in walnuts. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
- To prepare applesauce cake: In a mixing bowl, beat egg, applesauce and oil. Add cinnamon, allspice, cloves and 2-1/4 cups cake mix; mix well. Fold in raisins and walnuts. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Snack Cake Mix in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p35