If your family likes granola bars, they're sure to love these tempting treats. Full of hearty ingredients, they're a perfect snack for taking along on picnics and bike trips or for packing in brow-bag lunches.—Carolyn Fisher, Kinzer, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 9 cups Rice Chex, crushed
- 6 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 packages (one 16 ounces, one 10-1/2 ounces) large marshmallows
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1-1/2 cups raisins or M&M's minis or miniature semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- In a very large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a Dutch oven over low heat, cook and stir marshmallows and butter until the marshmallows are melted. Add honey and mix well.
- Pour over cereal mixture; stir until blended. Add the raisins, M&M's or chocolate chips if desired. Pat two-thirds into a greased 15x10x1-in. pan and the remaining third into a 9-in. square pan. Cool before cutting into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 137 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Snack Bars in Taste of Home December/January 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.