Smothered Teriyaki Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 slices Muenster or Swiss cheese
- 1. Saute mushrooms and onion in 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet until tender. Stir in the teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder and ginger; heat through. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Cook chicken in remaining oil in the same skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
Top with mushroom mixture and cheese. Cover and let stand until cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool chicken and mushroom sauce. Place in freezer containers and top with mushroom sauce. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Slowly heat chicken through in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Top with cheese and proceed as directed. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving: 373 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Reviews for Smothered Teriyaki Chicken Breasts
"This was fantastic. Will certainly make again and again. Did add sweet red peppers to the mix."
"Oh my gosh, is this good. And so pretty! I had to take a picture of it and send it to my sister.....a new favorite!"
"This was really good. made exactly as written. Served with some steamed brocolli and spinach salad. Even our two little boys ate it, minus the mushrooms"
"This was very flavorful and the chicken was nice and juicy! This is a keeper."
"This was pretty good... We don't like mushrooms so I didn't use them and doubled up on the onions instead. Like another reviewer said, it was a little on the sweet side so I might cut back or leave out the sugar next time. Thought the cheese would be odd paired with Asian food but I used it and ended up liking it. Overall the family enjoyed it and the house smelled wonderful while it was cooking."
"I did not care for this recipe. It is a little too sweet for me. Also the sauce is very thin and runs off the chicken. It would be better if it was thicker."
"I had company and served this easy, simple recipe .... delicious!"
"I make this last evening for company and it was a hit! Everyone thought it looked and tasted like something you would get at a fine restaurant! Since it is summer, I grilled the chicken breast, then put it in a pan, topped with the sauce & cheese, and popped it in the oven for just a few minutes to melt the cheese. My husband loved it!!"
"FANTASTIC! Fit for company but oh so good for any night."
"Suggested this recipe to my friends all ready.Will make again"
"this was a very simple and easy recipe. Very good. Will definately make again."