Smothered Onion Patty Melts
Looking for a new twist on burgers? Margie Jarvis of Decatur, Tennessee has created a patty melt loaded with onions and Swiss cheese on rye bread. This flavorful combination is a great way to use ground turkey as well.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 8 slices rye bread, toasted
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onions in oil for 3 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the mustard, garlic, thyme, oregano and remaining salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Place each patty on a slice of toast; top with cheese, onions and remaining toast.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 539 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Patty Melts with Smothered Onions in Country Woman May/June 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips