Smothered Ginger Chicken
Liven up ordinary chicken with this simple, saucy skillet dish. No one in my family can resist the moist chicken and old-fashioned gravy.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup each chopped green and sweet red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups chicken broth
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, in oil until well browned. Remove from skillet; set aside and keep warm. Add onion and peppers to drippings; saute until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining flour, remaining salt and pepper, ginger and chicken broth until smooth. Stir into vegetable mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
Originally published as Smothered Ginger Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.