- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and lemon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook chicken until a thermometer reads 165°, 6-8 minutes per side. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels; pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In drippings, saute onion with brown sugar over medium heat until tender and golden brown. Top chicken with bacon, onion mixture and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSmothered Chicken Breasts
"The chicken was very flavorful and tasty. I really like the caramelized onions. It seemed like they really added a lot to the chicken. Being we always get the pre-cooked bacon from Schwan's, I couldn't add bacon grease. Instead I just added a little more oil. I also put the dish in the microwave to melt the cheese."
"Fabulous! This recipe is easy and delicious! Try it ...you won't be sorry!"
"There wasn't anything about this recipe that wasn't spectacular! Seriously - simple, tasty, quick!"
"Very greasy would not be making it again."
"The chicken was very moist and the combination of bacon, carmelized onions, and cheese was delicious!"
"There isn't anything to change with this recipe. One of the best! Thank you Brenda for sharing."
"This was so easy and delicious. It was something I would never think of to make. I think next time the only thing I may do is toss the skillet in the oven to melt the cheese more :)"
"My husband and son both agreed it was the best chicken they have ever had!!!!"
"My family loved this recipe even my son who hates onions! But I substituted garlic powder for the lemon pepper ( didn't like the lemon pepper!)"