After enjoying a similar dish at a Spanish tapas restaurant, my husband and I were eager to make our own version of this saucy chicken at home. If I want to make it extra healthy, I'll remove the skin from the chicken after browning. —Ryan Haley, San Diego, California
Recommended: 20 Ways to Cook with Cauliflower
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1-1/2 cups baby portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- Mix first four ingredients; rub over chicken.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, skin side down. Cook until browned, 4-5 minutes per side; remove from pan. Remove all but 1 tablespoon drippings from pan.
- In drippings, saute mushrooms and 1/2 cup green onions over medium heat until tender, 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Add chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°, 10-12 minutes. Top with remaining green onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Smoky Spanish Chicken in Simple & Delicious December/January 2018