Smoky Quinoa with Mushrooms
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Minced fresh cilantro and lemon wedges
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, paprika, lemon juice, cumin and salt until blended. Add water; bring to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
- Arrange spinach on a serving plate; spoon quinoa over spinach. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup quinoa mixture with 1 cup spinach: 217 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Apr 6, 2017
I make this often! Smoked paprika is a must. We add cubed tofu at the mushroom stage to get some protein in the dish.
Jan 21, 2016
Too much tomato paste and too much paprika. I followed the recipe to a t and it tasted very weird. I won't make it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.