Smoky Quinoa with Mushrooms
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Minced fresh cilantro and lemon wedges
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, paprika, lemon juice, cumin and salt until blended. Add water; bring to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
- Arrange spinach on a serving plate; spoon quinoa over spinach. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup quinoa mixture with 1 cup spinach: 217 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Mar 2, 2019
There was two much tomato paste. The dish was very acidic. Also the spinach would have benefited from being slightly wilted. The raw spinach with the quinoa didn’t work.
Apr 6, 2017
I make this often! Smoked paprika is a must. We add cubed tofu at the mushroom stage to get some protein in the dish.
Jan 21, 2016
Too much tomato paste and too much paprika. I followed the recipe to a t and it tasted very weird. I won't make it again.