Smoky Onion Biscuit Squares
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 pound smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt-free Southwest chipotle seasoning blend
- In a small skillet, cook onion in butter over medium heat until tender. Add sugar; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, milk and egg. Fold in 1/2 cup cheese, seasoning blend and onion mixture. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 91 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Nov 30, 2014
This recipe was in the Mrs. Dash advertising supplement in the Dec/Jan 2015 issue of Simple & Delicious, and I have to say : DELICIOUS! I made it as an appetizer and they flew off the tray. As a field editor and one who hosts at least 10 parties every year, this will stay at the top of my list.
Feb 1, 2014
Really good! I was surprised. I made this with ghoulash and it was great. I couldn't find smoked mozarella so I used smoked gouda. We will make this again!
Oct 26, 2009
Everybody raved about these. I changed it up a little. Could not locate smoked mozzarella at the store where I was shopping so being from Texas I got Pepper Jack. Gave it a wonderful kick. Even my picky grandson who doesn't eat onion's went back for what was left. Served it with a crockpot roast with carrots and potatoes. Next time I will try the smoked mozzarella. Nancy
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.