Making this delicious, savory casserole in the slow cooker saves oven space, but you can bake it in the oven if you prefer. —Susan Hein, Burlington, Wisconsin
Recommended: Easy Labor Day Recipes Made in a 13×9 Pan
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 package (28 ounces) frozen O'Brien potatoes, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 4 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grease a 3-qt. slow cooker with butter. Combine potatoes, soup, cheese, pepper and salt. Transfer to prepared slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.
- Bake option: Preheat oven to 350°. Place potato mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 45-55 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Smoky Hash Brown Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p34