Smoky Garlic and Spice Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 1 hr. + standing
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), split in half lengthwise
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine first eight ingredients. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on the grill rack to coat lightly. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan.
- Place chicken cut side down over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 170-175°, turning occasionally. Let stand 10 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts7 ounces cooked chicken: 396 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Feb 19, 2014
EXCELLENT in my opinion. My younger son is very critical of food that is not one of my own recipes but after he ate this chicken he said that it was GREAT!!!
Oct 29, 2012
This is a great marinade for just about any poultry. The cumin really makes the taste pop. We used Cornish game hens instead of chicken. They didn't come out very crispy, but DH thinks it may have been his fault, not the marinade's. Will definitely make again.
Aug 9, 2012
This marinade is really good on grilled cornish game hens.
Mar 12, 2012
I just was looking through my taste of home magazines for this recipe. I have made this several times we really enjoy this recipe.
Oct 18, 2011
Talk about flavor!!! I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Jul 27, 2011
This was awesome! We cut the chicken and set it in a fish basket to BBQ under indirect heat! YUMMY!
Jul 25, 2011
I was looking for a different way (other than BBQ) to make chicken on the bone on the grill and this recipe fit the bill nicely. I used chicken thighs instead of Cornish hens, which cut the cooking time significantly. Good flavor, but too spicy for my kids, who ate hot dogs instead. I didn't regret making this but I don't think I would again, mainly because I need something the whole family can enjoy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.