- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), split in half lengthwise
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine first eight ingredients. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on the grill rack to coat lightly. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan.
- Place chicken cut side down over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 170-175°, turning occasionally. Let stand 10 minutes before carving. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSmoky Garlic and Spice Chicken
"EXCELLENT in my opinion. My younger son is very critical of food that is not one of my own recipes but after he ate this chicken he said that it was GREAT!!!"
"This is a great marinade for just about any poultry. The cumin really makes the taste pop. We used Cornish game hens instead of chicken. They didn't come out very crispy, but DH thinks it may have been his fault, not the marinade's. Will definitely make again."
"This marinade is really good on grilled cornish game hens."
"I just was looking through my taste of home magazines for this recipe. I have made this several times we really enjoy this recipe."
"Talk about flavor!!! I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts."
"This was awesome! We cut the chicken and set it in a fish basket to BBQ under indirect heat! YUMMY!"
"I was looking for a different way (other than BBQ) to make chicken on the bone on the grill and this recipe fit the bill nicely. I used chicken thighs instead of Cornish hens, which cut the cooking time significantly. Good flavor, but too spicy for my kids, who ate hot dogs instead. I didn't regret making this but I don't think I would again, mainly because I need something the whole family can enjoy."