This juicy steak rubbed with espresso, cocoa and pumpkin pie spice is one of my husband’s favorites. We usually grill it, but broiling works in the chilly months. —Deborah Biggs, Omaha, Nebraska
Recommended: Potluck-Ready Summer Slow Cooker Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked or regular paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef flat iron or top sirloin steak (3/4 inch thick)
- Preheat broiler. Mix first seven ingredients; rub over both sides of steak. Place steak on a broiler pan; let stand 10 minutes.
- Broil steak 3-4 in. from heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°); medium-well, 145° Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Smoky Espresso Steak in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016