Smoky Cranberry Ribs
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Grill: 2 hours
- 4-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 6 pounds pork baby back ribs
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, combine the first nine ingredients; grind until fennel and caraway seeds are crushed. Set aside 4 teaspoons for sauce.
- Rub remaining spice mixture over ribs. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Wrap ribs in a large piece of heavy-duty foil (about 28 in. x 18 in.); seal tightly. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place ribs over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, brown sugar, vinegar, onion and reserved spice mixture. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes; cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; add ketchup. Cover and process until smooth. Set aside 1 cup sauce for serving.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Carefully remove ribs from foil. Place over direct heat; baste with some of the sauce. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until browned, turning and basting occasionally. Serve with reserved sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving with 2 tablespoons sauce: 1023 calories, 62g fat (23g saturated fat), 245mg cholesterol, 1936mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 3g fiber), 51g protein.
May 29, 2016
I really like the combination of spices. Caraway & fennel give these ribs a really nice flavor.
Oct 15, 2011
These are great! It's a nice change from the standard sweet, brown sugar barbacue sauce. I also use the sauce for chicken wings. It's a big hit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.