Smoky Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook chicken and onion in oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in the soup, enchilada sauce, chilies and chipotle pepper. Add tortillas and 1 cup cheese.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cilantro and remaining cheese. Serve with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 452 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 1206mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein.
Mar 9, 2016
Delicious! I took the idea of this recipe and made it my own. I omitted the soup (cuz I would never put it in my enchiladas), chipotle, cilantro, and the green chilies, and reduced the amount of tortillas. I added Mexicorn and black beans that I drained and rinsed. I sub'd out reduced fat cheese for the regular. I am going to use a large can of enchilada sauce next time for more enchilada flavor.
May 12, 2012
Mexican dishes. We did not care for so many soft tortillas in the mixture. Seemed that was all you could taste.
Mar 6, 2012
Added 2 cups of corn and a can of diced tomatoes. Served with rice wrapped in a tortilla instead of mixing that in.
Jan 18, 2012
I left the tortillas out because we didnt want them to get soggy. We put them on top more like a garnish.Flavor was great, but seemed lacking as a dish. Next time i will add somebeans or serve over rice. Works well as a soft taco type filling.
Jan 5, 2012
i must have over done something. We love spicy but wow, this was hot! what can I do or add to this to calm it down?
Jan 2, 2012
Loved it, will become a standard in my house going forward.
Dec 28, 2011
Even my picky eater liked it! Will make this many more times!
Oct 15, 2011
Quick and easy with the adobo peppers giving it a nice spicy bite. Have made it more than a few times.
Aug 17, 2011
I made this recipe for a group of friends and everyone loved it!! It disappeared. Loved the spicy taste.
Apr 4, 2011
Sounded better than it tasted. If I made it again, I would try it without the chipotle pepper...too hot and lacked the Mexican flavor Iove.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.