Smoky Beef ‘n’ Beans
Liquid Smoke gives a unique taste to this thick and hearty combination of beef and beans shared by Anita Curtis. "I serve it with a crisp salad to make a complete meal," notes the Camarillo, California cook.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, cook the beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 337 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 1171mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 8g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Smoky Beef 'n' Beans in Quick Cooking March/April 1999