- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 15-oz. cans pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes and sausage mixture. In a small bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, steak seasoning and Liquid Smoke if desired. Stir into bean mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until heated through. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forSmoky Baked Beans
"This is an awesome recipe! I have made it several times and forgot to leave a review. So easy to prepare and sooooo good, exactly as written, it is perfect! The whole clan loved it and that is not always the easiest thing to do! Thanks Lynne!!"
"I made it exactly as it said but added a little more diced tomatoes so it is a little bit saucier. My husband just loves it."
"I made this the other day for a Brunch. I did not have the sausage or steak seasoning and did not add the brown sugar. Got RAVE reviews! This is easy and a keeper!"
"I was pretty happy with the way these beans turned out. I probably added twice the amount of a smoky steak seasoning that I had on hand, and with the liquid smoke, it gave it a good flavor."
"Forgot on my review to 5 star this recipe!! And mother of 3 you ommit the good flavors!!"
"Awesome Smokey Baked Beans!! My family loves them!! Once you taste them you will be hooked!!"
"Hubby wasn't really impressed. Something missing he said. I forgot the mustard & steak seasoning. Omitted the sugar & diced tom with chilies, but used Trader Joe's Smoky BBQ sauce; it's very spicy. Think our fellowship would like it immensely."
"These baked beans are absolutely delish!!! I am always asked to make baked beans for family functions, and I always thought I made really good baked beans until I tried this recipe and realized I had so much room for inmprovement!! I omitted the kidney beans due to personal preference and used Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage as I couldn't find plain sausage, and the flavors mingled so well it was unbelievable. I got countless compliments on these beans, and cannot wait to make them again!! I highly recommend this recipe - you won't be disappointed. Thanks for sharing this recipe!"
"This was awesome. Doubled the recipe for husbands work cookout and it made a full large crockpot full. Sweet and smoky with a bite. Definitely a keeper. Husband was proud to take it to work."