Smokin’-Philled Chicken Breasts
Combine cream cheese filling, crunchy coating and smoky heat from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to seriously up your chicken dinner game. —Carolyn Kumpe, El Dorado, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fully cooked smoked ham
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. Cut a pocket in the thickest part of each chicken breast; fill with cream cheese mixture. Secure with toothpicks.
- Place the flour, egg and bread crumbs in three separate shallow bowls. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in egg mixture and coat with crumbs.
- In a cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, brown chicken in oil over medium heat; transfer skillet to oven. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 170°, 15-20 minutes. Discard toothpicks before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 578 calories, 40g fat (15g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 821mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 44g protein.
Originally published as Smokin' - Phillin' Chicken Breasts in Cast Iron