Smoked Sausages with Mustard Sauce
Miniature sausages are a welcome sight at any party. I keep the ingredients for this always-pleasing appetizer on hand so I can whip it up on a moment's notice.—Doris Heath, Franklin, North Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1 package (16 ounces) miniature smoked sausages
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- In a large skillet, brown sausages in oil; drain and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, mustard, flour and salt. Stir in cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat and gently stir in vinegar. Pour over sausages; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 59 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat.
Originally published as Smoked Sausage with Mustard Sauce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.