Smoked Salmon Dip in Pumpernickel
I got this recipe from my brother, who is a fabulous cook, and it has become a staple at Christmastime. The smoky salmon blends wonderfully with the cream cheese. Adjust the amount of hot sauce to suit your taste.—Kathy Smuz, Clearwater, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total TIme: 20 min.
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) pumpernickel bread
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon fillet
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- Cut top fourth off of the loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cube removed bread; set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the salmon, cream cheese, milk, onions, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce; cover and process until smooth. Stir in capers.
- Fill bread shell with salmon dip. Serve with vegetables and reserved bread cubes.
Sep 18, 2019
This identical recipe was first printed in Bon Appetit Magazine, October 1996, page 107, entitled Smoked Salmon Spread with Pumpernickel Bread.
Oct 10, 2013
This was great!