- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, flaked
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Spoon into cucumber halves. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until filling is firm. Cut into 1/2-in. slices. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forSmoked Salmon Cucumber Canapes
"I have made this numerous times, but only once the way the recipe says. I found that the filling falls off the cucumber, so I modified it, and I get great reviews each time. Here's what I do: I take a medium cucumber without seeds and finely dice it. I add that in with the salmon mixture, although I double the salmon, capers, dijon, pepper and add another Tbsp of lemon, plus 1/2 of a small onion (can change all these amounts to suit taste and to account for the addition of the cucumber added into the mix). After the mixture marinates for a few hours, I serve it scooped into endive boats, or into hollowed out cherry tomatoes, or with celery sticks, or on cucumber slices, but any vegggie-type delivery means may work depending on your tastes. Both dieters and non-dieters love this recipe, assuming that they like smoked salmon. It is a strong flavored dish, but yummy and healthy! I gave it only 4 stars because I modified it so much, but my version gets 5 stars in my book!"
"This appetizer was a hit at my superbowl party. Everyone loved and it was the first empty plate."
"This is a pungent appetizer with very sharp flavors - not for the food timid."