Smiling Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + standing
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 24 Popsicle sticks
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- Red, blue and green paste food coloring
- Assorted small candies
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla. Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Roll dough into 1-1/2-in. balls; insert a wooden pop stick in the center of each.
- Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Divide frosting among three bowls; tint as desired. Place each color of frosting in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe hair and mouths onto cookies; use a dab of frosting to attach small candies for eyes. Let dry at least 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 180 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 8, 2011
This is auntiechooch again. for some reason I lost the review I was writing. We are suppose to put our baked goods in a zip lock box. But since I only got 9 out of my batch of dough, and ny frosting is not hardening so I think I am going to stand them up in a piece of styrofoam. I know the cookies will be a big hit. Thak you for sharing your recipe and talent. Take Care and May God Bless You,Fondly, Auntiechooch