Smashed Root Vegetables with Crispy Shallots
This recipe is special to me because rosted potatoes remind me of Sunday suppers at my grandma's house—delicious and comforting! —Kathi Jones-DelMonte, Rochester, New York
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cubed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 5 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons oil. Combine thyme, salt, pepper and paprika. Sprinkle over vegetables; toss to coat. Divide between two 15x10x1-in. baking pans.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute shallots in remaining oil until golden brown and crispy. Stir in sugar and vinegar; cook 1 minute longer. Drain; set aside.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl. Coarsely mash with butter, milk and nutmeg. Sprinkle with shallots; serve immediately.
Originally published as Caramelized & Smashed Potatoes with Crispy Shallots in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013