Slow-Roasted Chicken with Vegetables Recipe
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1. Place carrots, celery and potatoes in a 6-qt. slow cooker; toss with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place lemon halves and garlic in chicken cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Place chicken over vegetables in slow cooker, breast side up. Mix rosemary, lemon juice, oil, paprika and remaining salt; rub over chicken.
- 2. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175° and vegetables are tender.
- 3. Remove chicken to a serving platter; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
3 ounces cooked chicken with 2/3 cup vegetables: 329 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Slow-Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
"chicken was moist but not much flavor."
"I, too, found the flavor of the chicken a little bland and the lemon just wasn't quite right with the dish. Everyone else liked it though. I was not able to remove the chicken from the crock pot as it was already falling off the bone. If I make it again I will omit the lemon and amp up the spices on the chicken."
"I found this fairly bland but my family enjoyed it. Was easy to prepare and it was great to have everything in the one dish. I just feel this needs a bit of a flavour boost to make it just right. Thanks for the recipe."
"I made this roasted in the oven because I doubled the size of recipe for my family and chicken was too big for the crock pot. Meat was juicy and tender, and the lemon flavor was subtle but good. The herb rub was excellent. I made gravy with the pan juices, and it was good over the potatoes and chicken as well. I will use this recipe again."
"I like the concept but the chicken was not very tasty"
"The meat was very moist and tender. But it didn't have nearly as much flavor as I was expecting."
"Definitely easy; however, extremely strong rosemary flavor. Also, the lemon flavor just didn't go well; not sure what the purpose of the lemon is."
"This is the start of my slow cooker cooking. Happy new year to all"
"Couldn't be easier!"
"This was smple, but mine also turned out dry and vegetables were over-cooked. Thought this would have made a wonderful after work meal. chicken did make great leftovers."
"I thought the chicken turned out VERY dry and really had no flavor other than what was on the skin from the rub. I also thought the vegetables came out way to mushy. Very rarely does a 'Taste of Home' recipe not turn out great, but I won't be making this again."
"I liked the simplicity of this recipe. If I were to make this again, I'd add different dried herbs for half of the paprika and rosemary and I'd add onions."
"this is an ok recipe. I felt it lacked some flavor. It did not taste awful but it did not have that delicious factor."
"Just made this today & loved it! I don't like roasted carrots so I replaced them with fresh Brussel sprouts 1/2 way through . Very moist & delicious!"
"It was very good and moist. I cut the rosemary in half. I will add more carrots next time. An easy complete meal."