I love that I can top this creamy soup with anything my heart desires, which means I can eat it several days in a row without ever having to have it the same way twice. You can substitute fresh onions and celery in this recipe if you prefer, but using the dried version makes it easy to throw together on a weekday morning. —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
Featured In: 60 Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes for the Slow Cooker
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried celery flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Sour cream and pepitas, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients except sour cream and pepitas. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours.
Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to slow cooker and heat through. If desired, top servings with sour cream and pepitas.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup in Simple & Delicious October/November 2017
Reviews forSlow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review