Slow-Cooker Strawberry Soda Cake
When you want a sweet cake without the heat of the oven, this slow-cooked spin on cola cake comes in handy. The topping smells divinely like chocolate-covered strawberries. (Remember this one for Valentine’s Day!) Delicious served with whipped cream or powdered sugar. —Laura Herbage, Covington, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 cup 1% chocolate milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup strawberry soda
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Whipped cream and sliced fresh strawberries
- In a large bowl, mix chocolate milk, melted butter and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; gradually mix into chocolate milk mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread into a greased 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.
- For topping, in a small saucepan, combine soda and sugars. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; remove from heat. Stir in dark chocolate chips, jam and molasses; pour over batter.
- Cook, covered, on high until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Serve with whipped cream and strawberries.