Slow-Cooker Strawberry Soda Cake
When you want a sweet cake without the heat of the oven, this slow-cooked spin on cola cake comes in handy. The topping smells divinely like chocolate-covered strawberries. (Remember this one for Valentine’s Day!) Delicious served with whipped cream or powdered sugar. —Laura Herbage, Covington, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 cup 1% chocolate milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup strawberry soda
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Whipped cream and sliced fresh strawberries
- In a large bowl, mix chocolate milk, melted butter and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; gradually mix into chocolate milk mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread into a greased 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.
- For topping, in a small saucepan, combine soda and sugars. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; remove from heat. Stir in dark chocolate chips, jam and molasses; pour over batter.
- Cook, covered, on high until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Serve with whipped cream and strawberries.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 504 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (63g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Slowcooked Strawberry Cola Cake in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019