Slow Cooker Steak ‘n’ Gravy
Slow cooking in a zesty tomato sauce for hours helps the round steak become nice and tender. This nicely spiced steak with gravy makes a satisfying meal served over rice or mashed potatoes.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 1 pound beef top round steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- Cut beef into 1-in cubes; brown in oil in a skillet. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover with water; add tomato sauce and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours, or until meat is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water; stir into liquid in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until gravy is thickened. Serve with potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 361 calories, 16g fat (0 saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 336mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Steak 'n' Gravy in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Second Edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.