- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook beef, celery and onion over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in chili sauce, brown sugar, pickle relish, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until heated through and flavors are blended. Spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms. Replace tops. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Sloppy Joes
"I’ve made this recipe multiple times per my husband and my (almost grown) son’s request (and his friends). I love that I can pop it into the slow cooker and forget about it and know that dinner is done. It gets better as the flavors mesh. Personally I think that the chili sauce makes the recipe awesome. I agree with TheDix that the variations are endless. I always add whatever veggies I have in the fridge to the ground beef to brown. Today it was 5 Roma tomato’s, 1/2 of a green pepper, 1/2 an onion, and baby carrots all chopped very fine. The family loves it and doesn’t realize they are getting some extra veggies too!"
"Fantastic! easy! Delicious! I will make these again."
"very good I add red pepper"
"Great recipe and its wonderful to make it in a slow cooker for hot Summer months or anytime of the year for that matter. Cut the sugar down for health reasons, however, followed the recipe exactly & was still yummy. For the reviewers who mentioned their husbands didn't like this recipe, it doesn't mean that the recipe is not good & its merely an opinion.Carol, THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to share your recipe with us."
"Not really sure why anyone would want to dirty up a slow cooker when there's a perfectly good skillet there already in use, but great recipe! Especially with less sugar and more heat. :)"
"As always, tried the recipe as directed. Was good, but found it a bit too sweet with all the chili sauce. I added some hot peppers, a bit of hot sauce, and used 1/2 the chili sauce, and added about a cup of salsa to it. Also added a bunch of cilantro near the end to add to the flavor. Was much better, but will still doctor it up a bit until I think it is perfect."
"Pretty good, my kids loved it, but I thought it was missing something....not sure what though."