Slow-Cooker Shredded Beef Lettuce Cups
The slow cooker is our summertime go-to for cool kitchen cooking. After swim lessons and outdoor activities, it's so nice to come back to a tasty, light dinner. If you can't find Bibb or Boston, green leaf lettuce is less sturdy but can work in a pinch. —Elisabeth Larsen, Pleasant Grove, Utah
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 24 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- Sliced green onions, optional
- 1. In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine roast, carrots, peppers and onion. Stir together next six ingredients in small bowl; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low until roast is tender, 6-8 hours.
- 2. Remove roast from slow cooker. Cool slightly; shred roast with two forks.
- 3. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices and vegetables to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into juices; cook until sauce is thickened, 3-4 minutes. Return beef, sauce and vegetables to slow cooker; cook until heated through, 10-15 minutes.
- 4. Serve beef in lettuce leaves. If desired, sprinkle with green onions.
3 lettuce cups: 271 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC